Glowplug Removal
Cursitor Doom
2021-01-10 23:03:32 UTC
Gentlemen,

Any suggestions as to how to get the glowplugs out of an alloy head
without stripping the treads? I gather they can be problematical.
I was thinking about putting several hundred amps through them between
the outer threaded part and the surrounding alloy as an alternative to
using an induction heater to break the bond, since an IH is useless in
this situation. But I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not. Anyway,
your tips welcomed.

TIA.
Fredxx
2021-01-10 23:40:32 UTC
Post by Cursitor Doom
Gentlemen,
Any suggestions as to how to get the glowplugs out of an alloy head
without stripping the treads? I gather they can be problematical.
I was thinking about putting several hundred amps through them between
the outer threaded part and the surrounding alloy as an alternative to
using an induction heater to break the bond, since an IH is useless in
this situation. But I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not. Anyway,
your tips welcomed.
I've always been successful in removing glowplugs

Some advocate spraying WD40 and leaving for a couple of days to soak.

Some advocate going backwards and forwards at the start and when/if it
gets tight unscrewing.

Have you got any out? What's the vehicle?
Cursitor Doom
2021-01-11 00:41:20 UTC
Post by Fredxx
Post by Cursitor Doom
Gentlemen,
Any suggestions as to how to get the glowplugs out of an alloy head
without stripping the treads? I gather they can be problematical.
I was thinking about putting several hundred amps through them between
the outer threaded part and the surrounding alloy as an alternative to
using an induction heater to break the bond, since an IH is useless in
this situation. But I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not. Anyway,
your tips welcomed.
I've always been successful in removing glowplugs
Some advocate spraying WD40 and leaving for a couple of days to soak.
I don't have much faith in WD40 as a releasing agent. In fairness to
the brand, that was never what it was intended for originally. In fact
I have very little faith in releasing agents in general. One can
probably do a better job for oneself by mixing IPA with ATF and
letting that soak in for several days with repeated re-applications.
Post by Fredxx
Some advocate going backwards and forwards at the start and when/if it
gets tight unscrewing.
Have you got any out? What's the vehicle?
It's a 6 pot Beeme circa 2006, dunno the exact model off hand. M57
engined, though - that much I do know.
Fredxx
2021-01-11 01:00:39 UTC
Post by Cursitor Doom
Post by Fredxx
Some advocate going backwards and forwards at the start and when/if it
gets tight unscrewing.
Have you got any out? What's the vehicle?
It's a 6 pot Beeme circa 2006, dunno the exact model off hand. M57
engined, though - that much I do know.
I don't know the car, but feel access might be good? Many advocate best
to remove hot; where the alloy has expanded more than the glowplug.

In the unlikely event you do break one would it still be drivable
without too much reassembly? So many designs require removal of things
like inlet manifolds. My thought is that there are bespoke tools that
can remove the plug in stages and even clear the thread without any crap
going into the cylinder. I'm sure a local garage would be able to do the
job at a sensible price or a mobile mechanic.

As I've said I have never broken one, though I guess there can still be
a first time.
Peter Hill
2021-01-11 09:41:34 UTC
Post by Cursitor Doom
Post by Fredxx
Post by Cursitor Doom
[...]
WD40 can penetrate but is not a releasing agent.

So follow up with a graphite oil.
Get the engine warm.
Vin Everett
2021-03-01 13:41:19 UTC
Post by Cursitor Doom
Gentlemen,
Any suggestions as to how to get the glowplugs out of an alloy head
without stripping the treads? I gather they can be problematical.
I was thinking about putting several hundred amps through them between
the outer threaded part and the surrounding alloy as an alternative to
using an induction heater to break the bond, since an IH is useless in
this situation. But I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not. Anyway,
your tips welcomed.
TIA.
Get the engine hot 30mins driving, do not exceed 25Nm on a torque wrench
as this will likely shear the plug. Needless to say get a decent fit
socket.

Pre-soak with PB-Blaster or AeroKroil, the night before.

Good luck.

Cheers Vin