Sync2 Ford Upgrade
thescullster
2022-01-04 17:49:53 UTC
Hi Guys

I have been looking into updating my Ford Focus (UK) Sync software.

Looking at the screen shots on the Ford web site, I have decided that
the car has the Sync2 (My Touch) version.
The car is a 65 plate and I have had it since 18 months old approx.
As far as I am aware, no-one has manually upgraded the software since I
bought the car, although I occasionally see the screen enter some sort
of Sync Maintenance cycle. What it does at that point I have no idea
because according to the information I have read, Sync2 has to be
manually updated.

If I go onto the Ford web site and put my VIN in, the update routine
reports that the software is up-to-date.
But the maps are way out on roads and stuff that were finished years ago.

Anyone know what's going on here???

Thanks

Phil
thescullster
2022-01-05 08:44:42 UTC
Post by thescullster
Hi Guys
I have been looking into updating my Ford Focus (UK) Sync software.
Looking at the screen shots on the Ford web site, I have decided that
the car has the Sync2 (My Touch) version.
The car is a 65 plate and I have had it since 18 months old approx.
As far as I am aware, no-one has manually upgraded the software since
I bought the car, although I occasionally see the screen enter some
sort of Sync Maintenance cycle.  What it does at that point I have no
idea because according to the information I have read, Sync2 has to be
manually updated.
If I go onto the Ford web site and put my VIN in, the update routine
reports that the software is up-to-date.
But the maps are way out on roads and stuff that were finished years ago.
Anyone know what's going on here???
On sync3 the sync and map updates are separate.
I had to confirm that I had (installed) the up to date sync before I was
offered the free map update.
I've downloaded 2 off free map updates for my 2017 Focus.
Try on the sync update page hitting the confirm button.
The map update may then appear (below the sync check/confirm buttons).
In the past I've found the Ford UK update web pages very slow - both to
display the map update button and to actually download the map data.
On my car all updates have been downloaded to my PC and then transferred
to a USB stick which is plugged into the car (with any other USB in the
car removed)
You may/will find that in your car that the map update take from 30 to
60 minutes and during this time the car electrics cannot be switched
off. I just went for an hour's drive. After the update you may/will have
to reboot car information display. On my car this means removing the key
and waiting approx 12 minutes for all the axillary electrics to switch
off- and then inserting the key and turning the display back on.
More Sat Nav use the same small selection of map providers. Major road
changes are often updated quickly but this may not be the case for
"local" estate rroads.
Thanks Alan

I'll investigate further.

Pretty sure I am on Sync 2.

It may be that the operating system is up-to-date (i. e. hasn't changed
since the car was made), but I need to dig out the "maps" update from
somewhere.

Phil