Does tyre-dressing rot tyres ?
Andy Cap
2016-08-19 20:01:20 UTC
I've use it from time to time, to spruce them up
but the guy in National tyres today, made the comment
that it rots the rubber. I've never noticed a problem.
Is there any truth in it or it it BS?

Andy C
MrCheerful
My Michelin trained tyre fitters say the same.
newshound
2016-08-20 10:57:00 UTC
Post by Andy Cap
I've use it from time to time, to spruce them up
but the guy in National tyres today, made the comment
that it rots the rubber. I've never noticed a problem.
Is there any truth in it or it it BS?
Andy C
Do you have any particular brands in mind? Don't know what they contain,
but I could look them up. The MSDS (materials safety data sheet) won't
give exact compositions, but is usually enough to identify the "active
ingredients".
Andy Cap
2016-08-20 11:42:10 UTC
Post by newshound
Post by Andy Cap
I've use it from time to time, to spruce them up
but the guy in National tyres today, made the comment
that it rots the rubber. I've never noticed a problem.
Is there any truth in it or it it BS?
Andy C
Do you have any particular brands in mind? Don't know what they contain,
but I could look them up. The MSDS (materials safety data sheet) won't
give exact compositions, but is usually enough to identify the "active
ingredients".
https://www.autoglym.com/instant-tyre-dressing

.... is the one I've always used. Thee are no specific materials on the
bottle, it just says 'contains durable silicone protectants'.
it also says ' Cleans, beautifies, protects and preserves ' which
would clearly be wrong IF it damaged the rubber !
MrCheerful
2016-08-20 11:58:59 UTC
Post by Andy Cap
Post by newshound
Post by Andy Cap
I've use it from time to time, to spruce them up
but the guy in National tyres today, made the comment
that it rots the rubber. I've never noticed a problem.
Is there any truth in it or it it BS?
Andy C
Do you have any particular brands in mind? Don't know what they contain,
but I could look them up. The MSDS (materials safety data sheet) won't
give exact compositions, but is usually enough to identify the "active
ingredients".
https://www.autoglym.com/instant-tyre-dressing
.... is the one I've always used. Thee are no specific materials on the
bottle, it just says 'contains durable silicone protectants'.
it also says ' Cleans, beautifies, protects and preserves ' which
would clearly be wrong IF it damaged the rubber !
Found this on a US site:
The silicone degrades the wax which is present in tyres (and is brought
to the surface through compression during use, which is why standing
tyres degrade on their surface), this 'dries' the surface which then
degrades through UV exposure.

http://car-storage.com/article/tire-dry-rot/
Dave Plowman (News)
2016-08-20 13:31:36 UTC
Post by MrCheerful
The silicone degrades the wax which is present in tyres (and is brought
to the surface through compression during use, which is why standing
tyres degrade on their surface), this 'dries' the surface which then
degrades through UV exposure.
http://car-storage.com/article/tire-dry-rot/
Looks like an advert for 303 products.

'Avoid all tyre shine products except ours' ;-)
--
*Do paediatricians play miniature golf on Wednesdays?

Dave Plowman ***@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
MrCheerful
2016-08-20 14:54:45 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by MrCheerful
The silicone degrades the wax which is present in tyres (and is brought
to the surface through compression during use, which is why standing
tyres degrade on their surface), this 'dries' the surface which then
degrades through UV exposure.
http://car-storage.com/article/tire-dry-rot/
Looks like an advert for 303 products.
'Avoid all tyre shine products except ours' ;-)
There are plenty of others that say the same sort of thing, but that
site actually explains it, along with history .
Tim+
2016-08-20 15:19:35 UTC
Post by MrCheerful
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by MrCheerful
The silicone degrades the wax which is present in tyres (and is brought
to the surface through compression during use, which is why standing
tyres degrade on their surface), this 'dries' the surface which then
degrades through UV exposure.
http://car-storage.com/article/tire-dry-rot/
Looks like an advert for 303 products.
'Avoid all tyre shine products except ours' ;-)
There are plenty of others that say the same sort of thing, but that
site actually explains it, along with history .
But is it a credible explanation? "Wax brought to the surface by
compression" has awfully bovine excrement whiff about it.

Suppose I should read the link though... ;-)

Tim
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Dave Plowman (News)
2016-08-20 15:35:25 UTC
Post by MrCheerful
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Found this on a US site: The silicone degrades the wax which is
present in tyres (and is brought to the surface through compression
during use, which is why standing tyres degrade on their surface),
this 'dries' the surface which then degrades through UV exposure.
http://car-storage.com/article/tire-dry-rot/
Looks like an advert for 303 products.
'Avoid all tyre shine products except ours' ;-)
There are plenty of others that say the same sort of thing, but that
site actually explains it, along with history .
Not saying some products don't damage tyres in the long term, but a site
which implies all may do so - apart from the one they plug - doesn't
inspire confidence.

Some tyre walls crack anyway on their own. Mainly due to the sun, IIRC.
--
*When chemists die, they barium.*

newshound
2016-08-21 11:23:53 UTC
Post by MrCheerful
Post by Andy Cap
Post by newshound
Post by Andy Cap
[...]
I was prepared to hate that link but actually the "science" bit is not
too bad, although I agree with the poster who pointed out that it is
basically a sales pitch.

Autoglym looks to me as though it basically contains a waxy silicone
which will improve the appearance of a tyre by filling in the surface
roughness, just like any wax polish. I wouldn't worry about it "eating
into the tyre and destroying anti-oxidants", etc.

Who remembers "Slik" from the 1960s, much loved by used car dealers. It
made a dramatic difference to the appearance of old tyres, before it
disappeared from the market. Heaven knows what unpleasant chemicals that
contained.
Davey
2016-08-21 23:55:45 UTC
On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 12:23:53 +0100
Post by newshound
Post by MrCheerful
Post by Andy Cap
Post by newshound
Post by Andy Cap
[...]
You mean this stuff?

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/clay-bars-detailing-products/carplan-trade-tyre-slik-5l

http://www.my-sds.co.uk/Admin/ViewDocument.aspx?ID=d593df3a-2a8b-4cca-897e-ecaca2b4b376&primaryReportId=0

Glycerine, apparently.
Davey.
newshound
2016-08-22 11:50:38 UTC
Post by newshound
Post by MrCheerful
Post by Andy Cap
Post by newshound
Post by Andy Cap
[...]
Might be wrong but I thought the stuff used by dealers disappeared,
maybe Car-plan have just appropriated the name. Or perhaps not?
Dave Plowman (News)
2016-08-20 12:00:13 UTC
Post by Andy Cap
I've use it from time to time, to spruce them up
but the guy in National tyres today, made the comment
that it rots the rubber. I've never noticed a problem.
Is there any truth in it or it it BS?
Not heard of it being a problem on the classic car scene where many tart
up their car for a show.

But a tyre place making things up would be no surprise.
--
*Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial

Chris Whelan
2016-08-20 13:06:17 UTC
Post by Andy Cap
I've use it from time to time, to spruce them up
but the guy in National tyres today, made the comment
that it rots the rubber. I've never noticed a problem.
Is there any truth in it or it it BS?
I suspect any effect must be minimal.

The rear tyres on my car are seven years old. My aged bones haven't been up
to cleaning my car for the same length of time, not when the local Polish
car wash does a good job for seven quid.

They always dress the tyres, and I regularly check my tyres for damage or
degradation, but they look fine.

Chris
Remove prejudice to reply.
John
2016-09-09 13:55:58 UTC
Post by Andy Cap
I've use it from time to time, to spruce them up
but the guy in National tyres today, made the comment
that it rots the rubber. I've never noticed a problem.
Is there any truth in it or it it BS?
Andy C
Not sure if I've asked this question before or not - if I have, I can't
find the replies so a refresh of my memory is needed anyway. And I'm
sorry to hijack your thread but my question does fit in with tyre rot
etc. :D

About three months ago I bought an '05-plated Lexus RX300. The spare
wheel sits in a plastic carrier that is mounted under the car and the
tyre on it has hardly ever been used, it truly is 'like new'. Trouble
is, it's dated 2005 like the rest of the car so it's 11-years old. Is
it safe to use as a 'normal' everyday running tyre or not? I don't need
a spare as an 85-litre LPG tank now sits where the spare used to, hence
wondering if I can bring the spare into daily use.
MrCheerful
2016-09-09 16:05:37 UTC
Post by John
Post by Andy Cap
[...]
The official recommendation is no, although if it looks OK I would be
happy enough to use it on my own car.
Tim+
2016-09-09 18:06:39 UTC
Post by MrCheerful
Post by John
Post by Andy Cap
[...]
We recently changed all four tyres on our motorhome that still had plenty
of tread but had hardened to the point of having abysmal wet grip. Of
course they *had* been exposed to UV so that might make a critical
difference.

I guess you need to try it and see. Do bear in mind though that it does
theoretically open the door for an insurance company to refuse a claim if
you have an accident. Dunno if that would happen in practice but some
companies can be real c*nts.

Tim
Please don't feed the trolls
John
2016-09-09 18:19:54 UTC
Post by Tim+
Post by MrCheerful
Post by John
Post by Andy Cap
[...]
Thanks guys.

Tim - you said the 'I' word and that's now made me really question
whether it's worth it. Obviously, I don't intend on having an accident
but like you say, if an insurance company can use the slightest thing
to get out of paying up, they sure as hell will.

I think you've just talked me out of it.
Fredxxx
2016-09-10 10:19:41 UTC
Post by John
Post by Tim+
Post by MrCheerful
Post by John
Post by Andy Cap
[...]
I would use it but check tyre temperature after runs. If getting warmer
than the other side then it is defective.

I also don't see any use by date on tyres!
MrCheerful
2016-09-10 10:28:49 UTC
Post by Fredxxx
Post by John
Post by Tim+
Post by MrCheerful
Post by John
Post by Andy Cap
[...]
The recommendation (not law) is ten years, tyres have the date of mfr.
written on them in a coded form next to the letters DOT the last four
numbers represent the week and year.
Fredxxx
2016-09-10 13:23:25 UTC
Post by MrCheerful
Post by Fredxxx
Post by John
Post by Tim+
Post by MrCheerful
Post by John
Post by Andy Cap
[...]
Thanks, the fact they're not directly readable suggests they were never
intended for use by the end customer.
newshound
2016-09-21 16:12:35 UTC
Post by MrCheerful
Post by Fredxxx
Post by John
Post by Tim+
Post by MrCheerful
Post by John
Post by Andy Cap
[...]
So only one year beyond that, and I don't believe there is a "cliff
edge". Provided they are visually OK, with no more visible cracking than
more recent tyres then, like Mr C, I would use them myself. (I'm not a
fast or aggressive driver).

After all, you have three other wheels on the road. If you hit the wrong
sort of debris, a brand new tyre can deflate very quickly, but with
radials that should not really cause you to lose control before you stop
safely. (It used to be a bit more exciting in the days of cross-ply).
MrCheerful
Losing the tread from a radial remould at 100mph plus is exciting.
Tim+
2016-09-21 21:09:20 UTC
Post by MrCheerful
Losing the tread from a radial remould at 100mph plus is exciting.
Anyone doing 100mph on a remould is probably looking for a bit of
excitement. ;-)

Tim
Please don't feed the trolls
MrCheerful
2016-09-22 07:54:40 UTC
Post by Tim+
Post by MrCheerful
Losing the tread from a radial remould at 100mph plus is exciting.
Anyone doing 100mph on a remould is probably looking for a bit of
excitement. ;-)
Tim
and it was really old and had been standing still for a few years. I
was much younger and take more care since. I went out and bought 4 new
tyres a few days after the incident. The car: an ex-1300 Cortina Mk3
with a 3 litre Essex lump from a Capri.
Dave Plowman (News)
2016-09-22 13:42:48 UTC
Post by MrCheerful
Post by Tim+
Post by MrCheerful
Losing the tread from a radial remould at 100mph plus is exciting.
Anyone doing 100mph on a remould is probably looking for a bit of
excitement. ;-)
Tim
and it was really old and had been standing still for a few years. I
was much younger and take more care since. I went out and bought 4 new
tyres a few days after the incident. The car: an ex-1300 Cortina Mk3
with a 3 litre Essex lump from a Capri.
I'd not be keen on running *any* old tyre which has been unused for years
up to its maximum. And I'd be surprised if that remould was ever rated at
100 mph anyway. Although some like Colway were.
--
*Never kick a cow pat on a hot day *

MrCheerful
and when you were twenty or so?
MrCheerful
2016-09-22 14:07:13 UTC
Post by MrCheerful
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by MrCheerful
Post by Tim+
Post by MrCheerful
Losing the tread from a radial remould at 100mph plus is exciting.
Anyone doing 100mph on a remould is probably looking for a bit of
excitement. ;-)
Tim
and it was really old and had been standing still for a few years. I
was much younger and take more care since. I went out and bought 4 new
tyres a few days after the incident. The car: an ex-1300 Cortina Mk3
with a 3 litre Essex lump from a Capri.
I'd not be keen on running *any* old tyre which has been unused for years
up to its maximum. And I'd be surprised if that remould was ever rated at
100 mph anyway. Although some like Colway were.
and when you were twenty or so?
and what was really lucky was that I had recently removed the locked
diff, or I would probably not be here, nor my passengers.
Dave Plowman (News)
2016-09-22 14:11:17 UTC
Post by MrCheerful
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
I'd not be keen on running *any* old tyre which has been unused for
years up to its maximum. And I'd be surprised if that remould was ever
rated at 100 mph anyway. Although some like Colway were.
and when you were twenty or so?
Didn't have a car capable of 100 mph. ;-)
--
*Half the people in the world are below average.

MrCheerful
Which was why I built one or two or more, thinking about it, quite a lot. :)
Clive George
2016-09-22 12:54:23 UTC
Post by Tim+
Post by MrCheerful
Losing the tread from a radial remould at 100mph plus is exciting.
Anyone doing 100mph on a remould is probably looking for a bit of
excitement. ;-)
Do Colway still do remoulds? They were the tyre of choice for budget
rally teams, and had a decent reputation.
Dave Plowman (News)
2016-09-22 13:40:25 UTC
Post by Clive George
Post by Tim+
Post by MrCheerful
Losing the tread from a radial remould at 100mph plus is exciting.
Anyone doing 100mph on a remould is probably looking for a bit of
excitement. ;-)
Do Colway still do remoulds? They were the tyre of choice for budget
rally teams, and had a decent reputation.
Sadly not. They were excellent value for money - and IMHO a better tyre
than many a budget brand which cost more. But 'remould' was tainted in the
public view - even although they remould aircraft tyres.
--
*I didn't like my beard at first. Then it grew on me.*

newshound
2016-09-26 22:11:50 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by Clive George
Post by Tim+
Post by MrCheerful
Losing the tread from a radial remould at 100mph plus is exciting.
Anyone doing 100mph on a remould is probably looking for a bit of
excitement. ;-)
Do Colway still do remoulds? They were the tyre of choice for budget
rally teams, and had a decent reputation.
Sadly not. They were excellent value for money - and IMHO a better tyre
than many a budget brand which cost more. But 'remould' was tainted in the
public view - even although they remould aircraft tyres.
Not sorry to see the end of remoulds, although I never had a radial remould.

I had one of a new pair strip on my way to a continental holiday, bought
two replacements and subsequently got my money back. And I was being
careful to do 100 miles at 50 mph (and not highly loaded).
Dave Plowman (News)
2016-09-26 23:34:53 UTC
Post by newshound
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by Clive George
Do Colway still do remoulds? They were the tyre of choice for budget
rally teams, and had a decent reputation.
Sadly not. They were excellent value for money - and IMHO a better
tyre than many a budget brand which cost more. But 'remould' was
tainted in the public view - even although they remould aircraft tyres.
Not sorry to see the end of remoulds, although I never had a radial remould.
I had one of a new pair strip on my way to a continental holiday, bought
two replacements and subsequently got my money back. And I was being
careful to do 100 miles at 50 mph (and not highly loaded).
Yes. Many will remember remould stories and tar them all with the same
brush. I remember being in a near new very expensive car where a tyre
wrecked itself on a motorway. Perhaps I should be wary of new tyres. ;-)
--
*Indian Driver - Smoke signals only*

David
2016-10-19 15:27:19 UTC
Post by John
[...]
I've just changed the spare on a 'P' registered car.

Not been used (or perhaps once?) since we bought the car around 2007.
Given that the 4 wheels in use had been "reprofiled" with slightly
skinnier rubber it was probably not used by the previous owner either.

Who knows, it could have been original.

Anyway, looking at it one day I saw fissures all round the tyre following
the gaps in the tread. So obviously beyond serviceable life.

I also had a camper tyre with loads of tread blow out on me (thankfully at
very low speed) and AFAICR that was less than 10 years old but starting to
suffer from small side wall cracks.

You probably can't tell by looking at it, but I would be tempted to change
it for a new one and then rotate the wheels including the spare on a
regular basis (as they used to recommend for all cars). I seem to remember
a diagram where you swapped corners diagonally with one tyre going in as
the spare and the spare coming out.

One thing - IIRC some "sportier" tyres are asymmetric and so need to be
fitted to match the side of the car they are on. As far as I can see this
makes rotation (apart from front to back on the same side) a non-starter
unless you get the tyre changed round on the rim. Your spare is also only
"correct" for one side of the car.

Ah - http://www.blackcircles.com/general/tyre-rotation although this
doesn't include the spare (if you are lucjy enough to have one).

Cheers

Dave R
Windows 8.1 on PCSpecialist box
Dean Harker
2023-01-16 14:39:47 UTC
Post by David
Post by John
[...]
Hi, Silicone based tire dressings definitely do degrade tires.
I regularly used the aerosol-based products on my car every week when cleaning it.

I have had two separate experiences with degraded rubber in recent years until I figured it out.
I bought a very expensive set of premium all-weather tires for my Hyundai Tuscon. Within a year
these had deteriorated to the point where the side walls and edge tread were crazed and cracked.
Thinking this was a manufacturing fault with the rubber compound I contacted the supplier and was given a full refund.
I then changed to another premium brand and again bought an expensive set of all-weather tires.
About 8 months into their life, it was picked up as an advisory on an MOT that the side walls and tread were crazed and cracking.

The MOT tester said he had seen it on countless occasions with dressed tires. He blamed the silicone in the tire dressing for attacking.
the rubber and drying out the surface making them crack. He even said that the silicone compound on the tire
was actually dissolving his rubber gloves that he had on while carrying out the inspection.

I have since swapped to a water-based product on my latest car and after 18 months have not had an issue..

So be very aware, the silicone-based sprays definitely cause rubber deterioration in your tire side walls.