Company Comfort Databus - what is it? VW
David
2024-06-07 14:38:01 UTC
I have a fault showing up in diagnostics which says Company Comfort Databus
is in single wire.

I understand that this is a wiring problem somewhere in the data bus, but
I can't find an explanation of what the "Company Comfort Databus" actually
is.

Is it just a fancy term for the CAN bus or something more specific?

Cheers

Dave R
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64
David
2024-06-07 16:57:58 UTC
Post by David
I have a fault showing up in diagnostics which says Company Comfort
Databus is in single wire.
I understand that this is a wiring problem somewhere in the data bus,
but I can't find an explanation of what the "Company Comfort Databus"
actually is.
Is it just a fancy term for the CAN bus or something more specific?
Cross posting this because I don't know how many people look at
uk.rec.cars.maintenance.

I will say that Company Comfort sounds like the provision of sex workers,
but can't be in this case.

Cheers

Dave R
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64
Paul
2024-06-07 20:03:17 UTC
Post by David
Post by David
I have a fault showing up in diagnostics which says Company Comfort
Databus is in single wire.
I understand that this is a wiring problem somewhere in the data bus,
but I can't find an explanation of what the "Company Comfort Databus"
actually is.
Is it just a fancy term for the CAN bus or something more specific?
Cross posting this because I don't know how many people look at
uk.rec.cars.maintenance.
I will say that Company Comfort sounds like the provision of sex workers,
but can't be in this case.
Cheers
Dave R
Example.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/dreaded-company-comfort-databus-single-wire-parasitic-battery-drain-3026354/

Apparently the bus is broken up into sections, and something
functions as a gateway. Such a partitioning is to prevent
complete loss of control on a fault.

There are some diagrams here of CAN bus, on the right side of the page, down a bit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus

Company = Proprietary = "Your hand scanner cannot scan it"
Comfort = Heating and Cooling control (front seat temp, back seat temp)
Bus

*******

http://www.threadcn.com/support/shownews.php?id=362&lang=en

The CAN drive data bus (500Kbit/s) control unit has:

- engine control unit
-ABS control unit
-ESP control unit
-Transmission control unit
-Airbag control unit
- Combination meter

The CAN Comfort/Infotainment Data Bus (100 Kbit/s) Control Unit has:

- Fully automatic air conditioning / air conditioning control unit
-Door control unit
- Comfort Control Unit
- radio and navigation display unit control unit

That implies two separate buses. If the air conditioning
control shorts out, the Airbag still works (in the sense
that when the car probes the airbag, it finds it "ready to fire").

We use our imagination on automobiles, because we don't expect documentation.

Paul
David
2024-06-08 11:43:36 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by David
I have a fault showing up in diagnostics which says Company Comfort
Databus is in single wire.
<snip>
Post by Paul
- Fully automatic air conditioning / air conditioning control unit -Door
control unit - Comfort Control Unit - radio and navigation display unit
control unit
That implies two separate buses. If the air conditioning control shorts
out, the Airbag still works (in the sense that when the car probes the
airbag, it finds it "ready to fire").
We use our imagination on automobiles, because we don't expect
documentation.
Paul
Thanks for the usual comprehensive explanation.

The main very helpful point is that any fault showing on the Comfort Bus
is unlikely to be associated with the fuel rail pressure, which helps a
lot.

It is also unlikely to be mission critical.

Cheers

Dave R
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64
Davey
2024-06-08 12:40:38 UTC
On 8 Jun 2024 11:43:36 GMT
Post by David
Post by Paul
- Fully automatic air conditioning / air conditioning control unit
-Door control unit - Comfort Control Unit - radio and navigation
display unit control unit
That implies two separate buses. If the air conditioning control
shorts out, the Airbag still works (in the sense that when the car
probes the airbag, it finds it "ready to fire").
We use our imagination on automobiles, because we don't expect documentation.
Paul
Thanks for the usual comprehensive explanation.
The main very helpful point is that any fault showing on the Comfort
Bus is unlikely to be associated with the fuel rail pressure, which
helps a lot.
It is also unlikely to be mission critical.
Cheers
Dave R
You say that now, but wait until next winter!
--
Davey.