mass air flow sensor query (flow straightener)?
Johnny Jick
2022-09-16 07:31:04 UTC
I was troubleshooting a friend's car, that was hard to start. Also
lacked power going up steep hills. Checked the usual stuff: ignition,
fuel filter, air filter, exhaust sensors blah blah. The only defect I
found was the honeycomb laminar flow straightener was missing from the
MAF sensor.
I obtained a replacement (cheap Chinesium copycat) and behold, it now
starts fine.
So does the missing honeycomb cause the airflow to be under-estimated?
Abandoned_Trolley
2022-09-16 08:51:31 UTC
Post by Johnny Jick
I was troubleshooting a friend's car, that was hard to start. Also
lacked power going up steep hills. Checked the usual stuff: ignition,
fuel filter, air filter, exhaust sensors blah blah. The only defect I
found was the honeycomb laminar flow straightener was missing from the
MAF sensor.
I obtained a replacement (cheap Chinesium copycat) and behold, it now
starts fine.
So does the missing honeycomb cause the airflow to be under-estimated?
My guess is .. yes

I suspect that the "straightener" might increase the air velocity as it
goes past the sensor - a bit like wot a venturi does in a carburettor ?

The sensor probably cannot measure volume, so has to work it out from
velocity and throttle angle.

Also, most petrol engines are designed to operate with an air filter in
place - and as soon as its removed the fuel/air mixture will be
compromised.
random signature text inserted here
Johnny JIck
2022-09-17 02:42:26 UTC
Post by Johnny Jick
I was troubleshooting a friend's car, that was hard to start. Also
lacked power going up steep hills. Checked the usual stuff: ignition,
fuel filter, air filter, exhaust sensors blah blah. The only defect I
found was the honeycomb laminar flow straightener was missing from the
MAF sensor.
I obtained a replacement (cheap Chinesium copycat) and behold, it now
starts fine.
So does the missing honeycomb cause the airflow to be under-estimated?
My guess isĀ  .. yes
I suspect that the "straightener" might increase the air velocity as it
goes past the sensorĀ  - a bit like wot a venturi does in a carburettor ?
I found more to confirm this on website of V8 performance accessories.
They said lack of honeycomb may cause "too lean" ECU error codes. Some
revheads remove it, believing it restricts airflow, but end up with less
petrol from the injectors.
Without the straightener, flow becomes turbulent. So the air going past
the hot wires must be less than the average air flow.
Abandoned_Trolley
2022-09-17 08:26:54 UTC
Post by Johnny JIck
Without the straightener, flow becomes turbulent. So the air going past
the hot wires must be less than the average air flow.
To confuse matters yet more, I suspect that there might be another
sensor on the other side of the throttle plate to measure the manifold
depression.

And the moral of this story is ... removing random bits from motor
vehicles will reduce weight but may not improve performance.
--
random signature text inserted here