Tradetec oil
Calcite
2018-12-13 12:17:31 UTC
Tradetec engine oil - is it good?

At half the price of Comma - roughly, for a low-saps 5W-30 the price is
attractive, but is it as good? Does it meet the claimed specs?
Steve H
2018-12-13 20:20:59 UTC
Post by Calcite
Tradetec engine oil - is it good?
At half the price of Comma - roughly, for a low-saps 5W-30 the price is
attractive, but is it as good? Does it meet the claimed specs?
I'm wary of using Comma, so I'm unlikely to go anywhere near Tradetec!
Steve H
Calcite
2018-12-14 10:31:27 UTC
Post by Steve H
I'm wary of using Comma
What do you base that on? I've used Comma for a long time - with
apparently good results.
Steve H
2018-12-15 12:54:20 UTC
Post by Calcite
Post by Steve H
I'm wary of using Comma
What do you base that on? I've used Comma for a long time - with
apparently good results.
For the same reason I don't use Ting-Ton Iddle I Po tyres.

For the difference in price, I'd prefer to use a long established brand.
All my cars have an OEM oil spec. from either Shell, Mobil or Selenia.
Steve H
Dave Plowman (News)
2018-12-15 14:00:02 UTC
Post by Steve H
Post by Calcite
Post by Steve H
I'm wary of using Comma
What do you base that on? I've used Comma for a long time - with
apparently good results.
For the same reason I don't use Ting-Ton Iddle I Po tyres.
For the difference in price, I'd prefer to use a long established brand.
All my cars have an OEM oil spec. from either Shell, Mobil or Selenia.
Be interesting to see some decent lab tests on the various brands of oil
that claim to meet a particular spec. I'd guess as with lots of other
things you don't always get better by paying more.
--
*I have never hated a man enough to give his diamonds back.

Dave Plowman ***@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
alan_m
2018-12-15 20:16:23 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Be interesting to see some decent lab tests on the various brands of oil
that claim to meet a particular spec. I'd guess as with lots of other
things you don't always get better by paying more.
A high price may just indicate high advertising costs.

I wonder which oil you main dealer or back street garage is using on a
regular basis? Who makes the oil branded as "Ford" "Vaxhaul" "Halfords"
etc.?
Steve H
2018-12-15 20:36:47 UTC
Post by alan_m
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Be interesting to see some decent lab tests on the various brands of oil
that claim to meet a particular spec. I'd guess as with lots of other
things you don't always get better by paying more.
A high price may just indicate high advertising costs.
I wonder which oil you main dealer or back street garage is using on a
regular basis? Who makes the oil branded as "Ford" "Vaxhaul" "Halfords"
etc.?
Most manufacturers have an OEM partnership. Ford are Castrol, BMW /
Hyundai / Ferrari / Maserati are Shell Helix. (Ducati are also Shell).
Not sure on other partnerships, other than Fiat / Alfa and Selenia.
Steve H
D A Stocks
2018-12-16 19:12:27 UTC
Post by Steve H
Post by alan_m
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Be interesting to see some decent lab tests on the various brands of oil
that claim to meet a particular spec. I'd guess as with lots of other
things you don't always get better by paying more.
A high price may just indicate high advertising costs.
I wonder which oil you main dealer or back street garage is using on a
regular basis? Who makes the oil branded as "Ford" "Vaxhaul" "Halfords"
etc.?
Most manufacturers have an OEM partnership. Ford are Castrol, BMW /
Hyundai / Ferrari / Maserati are Shell Helix. (Ducati are also Shell).
Not sure on other partnerships, other than Fiat / Alfa and Selenia.
Selenia are a brand of Petronas these days.

DAS
Dave Plowman (News)
2018-12-16 11:19:20 UTC
Post by alan_m
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Be interesting to see some decent lab tests on the various brands of oil
that claim to meet a particular spec. I'd guess as with lots of other
things you don't always get better by paying more.
A high price may just indicate high advertising costs.
Very true.
Post by alan_m
I wonder which oil you main dealer or back street garage is using on a
regular basis? Who makes the oil branded as "Ford" "Vaxhaul" "Halfords"
etc.?
Large garages buy oil in bulk. At a very different price you and I do for
the odd oil change. But they still charge you the full retail price.
--
*Broken pencils are pointless.*

mike H
2023-09-30 16:15:04 UTC
i guess its just another ripoff by the motor trade.
I insist on doing my own oil changes as you cant trust what the likes of Halfords and others might put in your engine at their usual outlandish prices.
I make sure of purchasing a good make of oil filter and the correct brand of oil.
No problems so far after 60 years 0f doing it.
For full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/maintenance-uk/tradetec-oil-195798-.htm
MrCheerful
2018-12-15 15:19:57 UTC
Post by Steve H
Post by Calcite
Post by Steve H
I'm wary of using Comma
What do you base that on? I've used Comma for a long time - with
apparently good results.
For the same reason I don't use Ting-Ton Iddle I Po tyres.
For the difference in price, I'd prefer to use a long established brand.
All my cars have an OEM oil spec. from either Shell, Mobil or Selenia.
"Established as an independent oil blender in 1965, Comma quickly gained
an enviable reputation for the quality of its products and service. In
the wake of the oil and energy crises of the 1970s and 1980s, the
company was acquired in 1989 by Esso Petroleum Company Ltd."
Steve H
2018-12-15 15:39:51 UTC
Post by MrCheerful
"Established as an independent oil blender in 1965, Comma quickly gained
an enviable reputation for the quality of its products and service. In
the wake of the oil and energy crises of the 1970s and 1980s, the
company was acquired in 1989 by Esso Petroleum Company Ltd."
"July 2012, Comma was sold by ExxonMobil to its licensee in South
America, Moove Lubrificantes e Especialidades S.A. headquartered in São
Paulo, Brazil. With long-range international expansion programmes in
place, Moove is vigorously supporting Comma's ambition to be a leading
global aftermarket brand wherever its products are sold."

I'd also be wondering what they'd been leaving out to offer a budget oil
when they were also retailing Mobil.
Steve H
Nick Finnigan
Worse than a Malaysian company buying just the 'brand'?
Steve H
2018-12-16 10:46:36 UTC
Post by Nick Finnigan
Post by Steve H
Post by MrCheerful
"Established as an independent oil blender in 1965, Comma quickly gained
an enviable reputation for the quality of its products and service. In
the wake of the oil and energy crises of the 1970s and 1980s, the
company was acquired in 1989 by Esso Petroleum Company Ltd."
"July 2012, Comma was sold by ExxonMobil to its licensee in South
America, Moove Lubrificantes e Especialidades S.A. headquartered in São
Paulo, Brazil. With long-range international expansion programmes in
place, Moove is vigorously supporting Comma's ambition to be a leading
global aftermarket brand wherever its products are sold."
Is that a problem?
Worse than a Malaysian company buying just the 'brand'?
It's a tangled web. Strangely, the company behind Moove have a joint
venture with Shell and retail Helix from their forecourts and lubricant
bays on service stations.

I'm very wary of licensed branding, though, and it's rife in the
industry!
Steve H
Nick Finnigan
Yes, but you didn't seem wary of the 'Selenia' brand.
Calcite
2018-12-17 06:32:19 UTC
Post by Steve H
Post by Calcite
Post by Steve H
I'm wary of using Comma
What do you base that on? I've used Comma for a long time - with
apparently good results.
For the same reason I don't use Ting-Ton Iddle I Po tyres.
If you looked at their ratings, that might provide another reason.
Post by Steve H
For the difference in price, I'd prefer to use a long established brand.
All my cars have an OEM oil spec. from either Shell, Mobil or Selenia.
The difference in price is considerable for some oils.

Another consideration with the brand names, or at least about where you
get them, is fake oils - and it is hard to imagine a cheaper oil like
tradetec being faked.

You may be right about the brand names being better, but on the other
hand we are all victims of slick marketing, to at least some extent.
newshound
2018-12-15 13:38:27 UTC
Post by Steve H
Post by Calcite
Tradetec engine oil - is it good?
At half the price of Comma - roughly, for a low-saps 5W-30 the price is
attractive, but is it as good? Does it meet the claimed specs?
I'm wary of using Comma, so I'm unlikely to go anywhere near Tradetec!
Does depend on the value of the vehicle, though, and how much oil it
burns. For something in its last year or two of life, and that is dying
of rust, the engine is not so likely to be limiting.
alan_m
2018-12-15 20:24:36 UTC
Post by newshound
Post by Steve H
Post by Calcite
Tradetec engine oil - is it good?
At half the price of Comma - roughly, for a low-saps 5W-30 the price is
attractive, but is it as good? Does it meet the claimed specs?
I'm wary of using Comma, so I'm unlikely to go anywhere near Tradetec!
Does depend on the value of the vehicle, though, and how much oil it
burns. For something in its last year or two of life, and that is dying
of rust, the engine is not so likely to be limiting.
I kept a car for 17 years and towards the end of its life I just used
fully synthetic at around £15 for 4 litres (sold by Home Bargains). As
you say the engine wasn't the limiting factor and was still operating
well as many smaller items all started to go at the same time. In the
end the cost of repairing would have exceeded the value of the car.
johannes
2018-12-16 10:49:48 UTC
Post by alan_m
Post by newshound
Post by Steve H
Post by Calcite
Tradetec engine oil - is it good?
At half the price of Comma - roughly, for a low-saps 5W-30 the price is
attractive, but is it as good? Does it meet the claimed specs?
I'm wary of using Comma, so I'm unlikely to go anywhere near Tradetec!
Does depend on the value of the vehicle, though, and how much oil it
burns. For something in its last year or two of life, and that is
dying of rust, the engine is not so likely to be limiting.
I kept a car for 17 years and towards the end of its life I just used
fully synthetic at around £15 for 4 litres (sold by Home Bargains).  As
you say the engine wasn't the limiting factor and was still operating
well as many smaller items all started to go at the same time. In the
end the cost of repairing would have exceeded the value of the car.
Yep, I use fully synth low price where I can find it, thinking it's more
important to change max 4000 miles. Plus filter as well. My car is 23
years old, but going strong far from end of its life.