Drive Shaft Seal Life?
Add Reply
Brian
2024-09-26 07:32:46 UTC
During the 3 year service of Senior Management’s Aygo ( which has done
about 9000 mile from new), the dealer spotted a leaking drive shaft oil
seal.

( The car had its first MOT a just under month early a month ago, it wasn’t
mentioned. I always get MOTs done early, plus we’ve been away between
times.)

The seal is being replaced under warranty.

However, 3 years / 9000 miles seems a very short life. I don’t recall
ever have had a seal fail in the past, even at far higher mileages. Have I
been lucky?
alan_m
2024-09-26 08:34:17 UTC
Post by Brian
During the 3 year service of Senior Management’s Aygo ( which has done
about 9000 mile from new), the dealer spotted a leaking drive shaft oil
seal.
( The car had its first MOT a just under month early a month ago, it wasn’t
mentioned. I always get MOTs done early, plus we’ve been away between
times.)
The seal is being replaced under warranty.
However, 3 years / 9000 miles seems a very short life. I don’t recall
ever have had a seal fail in the past, even at far higher mileages. Have I
been lucky?
It may depend on how many potholes that the car has found :(
Brian
2024-09-28 06:19:10 UTC
Post by alan_m
Post by Brian
During the 3 year service of Senior Management’s Aygo ( which has done
about 9000 mile from new), the dealer spotted a leaking drive shaft oil
seal.
( The car had its first MOT a just under month early a month ago, it wasn’t
mentioned. I always get MOTs done early, plus we’ve been away between
times.)
The seal is being replaced under warranty.
However, 3 years / 9000 miles seems a very short life. I don’t recall
ever have had a seal fail in the past, even at far higher mileages. Have I
been lucky?
It may depend on how many potholes that the car has found :(
I’d not considered that, although Kent roads are pretty grim 😀

Seriously, the car is used as a run about and we tow it on a trailer behind
a motorhome. It has a pretty easy life.

While we didn’t pay for the repay, the cost was on the paperwork we got.
£289.
John Henderson
2024-09-26 21:15:56 UTC
However, 3 years / 9000 miles seems a very short life. I don?t recall
ever have had a seal fail in the past, even at far higher mileages. Have I
been lucky?
Just unlucky to have the leak.

The VW Transporter I bought new in 1996 had the crankshaft oil seal fail at
a very low mileage, and replaced under warranty.

At over 300,000 km and still going, there's been no further trouble there.
Brian
2024-09-28 06:35:10 UTC
Post by John Henderson
However, 3 years / 9000 miles seems a very short life. I don?t recall
ever have had a seal fail in the past, even at far higher mileages. Have I
been lucky?
Just unlucky to have the leak.
The VW Transporter I bought new in 1996 had the crankshaft oil seal fail at
a very low mileage, and replaced under warranty.
At over 300,000 km and still going, there's been no further trouble there.
That is what I’d expect - virtually ‘the life of the vehicle’.

In the past, I’ve tended to keep cars for a long time and never known one
fail.